I know that Kiyohime can be difficult to keep looking fresh and healthy and this baby is no exception. Following a very positive start in Spring this tree just seems to have struggled. The leaves were withering and drooping and the tree wasn’t a pretty picture. (I didn’t take one)
I could see some new buds emerging and so I took the head staggers and decided to de-foliate to see if the tree would bake a better go of it. This was possibly the wrong decision for a number of reasons. The first is that it may be getting too late in the year and the second is that the tree was re-potted in spring. I decided to risk it.
On a positive note it is good to see the tree sending out a new shoot at the back of the tree where it is very bare because of earlier storm damage
Some of the branch structure.
It’s another waiting game