I have this privet about 10 years but generally have not worked at it very much. I decided on the general shape of the tree many years ago and was basing the design of a myrtle tree that I liked at the time. I’m not sure that I made the right choice but the tree is what it is and has a way to go.
As the roots on this tree grow very vigorously I almost re-potted it in the spring but just could not find the time. I wasn’t expecting it to do well this year as a result but truth is it has grown better this year than it has for many years. Maybe just proves that we shouldn’t re-pot too early. In any case it needed a serious trim.
Anyone who has privet knows how brittle they are and how easily a branch or twig can snap when wiring. This has happened to me a couple of times resulting in some branches not as well developed as they could have been. I have tried to follow a routine of clip and grow although some twigs have been wired very gingerly to bring them into place.
The tree was a mass of flowers that give off a very heady perfume that I really like but I have trimmed most of them off to try to channel the energy into new growth.